20.6.12

the end of a season

Lake Cuicocha

This season of mountain climbing has come to its end. It feels a bit weird, I had gotten used to getting out of the city and getting away from everything every weekend. I guess I will miss it a lot, but I know I will start again with lots of energy in September. The last two mountains I climbed were the Cotacachi and the Morurco. Cotacachi is a mountain, also known as MarĂ­a Cotacachi de las nieves, which is believed to be Imbabura's lover. It was a lovely walk to the top with a great view of the Cuicocha lake. I didn't actually get up to the highest peak on this climb because I am still terrified of rock climbing, and Cotacachi is known for its vertiginous falls and crumbling rocks. Maybe next time I will dare to go up. This time I stayed with the safer walk up to the second highest peak. It wasn't terribly difficult, but it wasn't easy either. First of all we had to walk through snow for about 20 minutes, which was pretty fun. And then we had to walk up ice, which is a bit scarier because it's so slippery. It was incredibly cold up on our peak so we didn't stay there for too long. It was definitely a lovely mountain.

Getting closer to Cotacachi's peak (not the ones in the picture)

Walking on ice

Then last weekend we went to the Morurco. This is a small mountain on the south side of the Cotopaxi. Now, Cotopaxi is one of the most beautiful mountains around here; I'm so glad I get to see it almost daily from my city. It is also a harder mountain. The whole area surrounding Cotopaxi is made mainly of arenales. My best translation for arenales would be sand fields, even though they are not made of the type of sand you find at the beach; here the earth is very loose and made up of volcanic ash and small rocks, its difficult to walk through and even harder to climb up. On our trip to the Morurco we didn't actually climb the mountain, we just walked all the way around it. It was a beautiful walk, very different from the other mountains we have done. The colors of the earth were spectacular and there was almost no vegetation so all we saw was rocks and more rocks in many different colors. Since the Morurco is right by the Cotopaxi we also got a very close view of the mountain and its glaciers for a moment, then it got a bit cloudy and cold and we didn't get to see much more. 

Cotopaxi and Morurco

I call the Morurco a small mountain because compared to the Cotopaxi it looks relatively small, however the highest point we reached in this mountain was 4,750 meters high and its highest peak is 4,900 meters. This however seems nothing compared to Cotopaxi's 5,897 meters. It was a great walk to close the mountain climbing season. I can't wait for the next one to begin. 

Cotopaxi

The Illinizas 

Walking through the arenal