8.4.11

F is for Fake, F is for Fact


I have never actually watched Orson Welles' F for FAKE, only bits and pieces. The first time I heard of it was in my History of Cinema class back in 2008 when I was living in Italy. We talked about it in class because we were talking about video editing and how it allowed moviemakers to create all sort of scenarios and stories. One of my favorite parts is the sequence where the woman is walking in a city and all the guys are turning around to look at her. Later it is revealed that none of it is true; the woman walking and the men looking were shot at different times in separate locations it is just the editing which makes it look like everyone is looking at her. 

As Orson Welles says it in the movie, it is a film about trickery and lies. It is also a movie about truth and perception. I guess this is why I chose it as a theme for my first entry and as inspiration for the title of this blog. You see, life is a tricky place, it is full of mysteries. And it fills me with questions. Most of the time these questions don't have answers. And if you believe that everything is relative, then nothing really has only one answer. And if there is no single answer, then there is no truth, or perhaps there are many truths. So many truths that everything starts getting complex and confusing, just like in Orson Welles' film. 

This is what this blog is about. A place where I can explore all sorts of topics and questions that confuse me. And hopefully it will be as the film says: "delicious, delirious, delightful"