28.4.11

the things that matter to me

...the things that matter to me are the things that make me think of love and beauty. I think that is how I have summed it up for the moment. I'm always trying to figure out what matters the most to me, and I make lists, and then I review them. I make lists of the things I love about life: family, friends, cold foggy days, micro nature in big cities, food, lakes up in mountains, birds, dancing, long conversations with friends, animals, great movies. And then I make lists of things that I believe in: nature, respect, passion, fresh air, love, beauty, relationships. But maybe it all sums up in two things: Love & Beauty.

Maybe that is what brings it all together.

I was thinking about objects & identity again. And of all the objects that surround me, and why I chose them and decided to bring them into my environment. And I got the urge to draw 3 of my favorite accessories, which all happen to be jewelry. The first are two necklaces made with huayruro seeds (Ormosia coccinea), I bought them in mexico. These seeds are used as protection charms all across south america. On each of these necklaces I attached another good-luck/protection charm this time from Napoli. They are two red "corni" or horns. The second necklace I love is also from Napoli and it is a red "mano cornuto" (a hand making horn signs) hanging from a long pink chain. It is a traditional charm that protects against the evil eye, although I have had some trouble wearing it in latin america because many people have come to believe it is the sign of the devil thanks to the catholic church). Finally I have a necklace and earring set I bought in Oaxaca made out of ceramic skulls. Apart from being lucky charms I wear these accesories and love them for the things they make me think of. First of all the huayruro seeds will always remind me of life and its duality and about passion and love. The Italian charms remind me of my life in Italy and how much I love that country. Finally the skulls also remind me of life, instead of death. So in the end the two most important facts are that they are beautiful and make me think of beautiful things and that they remind me of the things I love.

for the moment I guess those are the things that matter the most.